Resilient and Mindful
Stress Management and Meditation for Kids and Young Adults
March 18 – May 6 (7 weeks, no class on April 29)
Ages 5 to 8 – 11:25am – 12pm (35 minutes)
Ages 9 to 12 – 12:15 – 1pm (45 minutes)
Ages 13 to 17 – 2 – 3:30pm (90 minutes)
Class will be held at Bending Bodhi Yoga in Dover, NH
$77 per person
What if we empower our kids and teens with proven tools to handle stress? What if they are able to cultivate an inner resilience to stay calm and centered no matter what life throws at them? What if they are able to practice and learn meditation and mindfulness techniques in a safe, playful, and experiential atmosphere? This is exactly what this workshop is for: giving kids and teens a laboratory to explore their inner landscape, teaching them tools to fall back to in times of stress, and working with them to develop the mindfulness and awareness to recognize when they need to use these tools.
For the age groups 5 to 8 and 9 to 12, this workshop will be a chance to dive into what it means to meditate and use our minds to calm our bodies. Each week, we will work with a new and exciting way to calm our bodies and minds:
- Week 1: Visual Meditation (visualizing a beautiful scene and putting yourself in it)
- Week 2: Crystal Chakra Meditation (exploring the tactile feeling of crystals for body-awareness)
- Week 3: Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT, an acupressure tapping technique to relieve stress and reduce cortisol)
- Week 4: Mantra Meditation (working with repetitive sounds to calm the nervous system, repeating the mantras Om and Om Shanti Om (Om Peace Om))
- Week 5: Chakra Color Meditation (visualization of colors in each chakra for increased body awareness)
- Week 6: Gratitude Meditation (working with the idea that ‘we have everything we need’, cultivating gratitude towards our bodies, relationships and belongings)
- Week 7: Loving Kindness Meditation (cultivating love towards ourselves and others)
For the age group 13 to 17, in addition to the experiential learning of a wide variety of meditation techniques such as mindfulness, breath work, EFT, and guided imagery, the workshop will also cover the brain waves and the physiology of meditation, the proven benefits of meditation, and the importance of recognizing and dealing with emotional patterns. The goal is to enable students to develop the skills to recognize the negative physical and emotional stress patterns in their lives and give them a toolbox of meditation techniques to handle any past, present, and future stress, anxiety, and adversity throughout their lives. There will be homework assignments in each class as well as further recommended reading.
- Week 1: Introduction to meditation (What is stress? What is Meditation? Explaining the physiology and the research-based benefits of meditation) Goal: change your brain waves
- Week 2: Being present to what is (First-aid toolbox at the moment of stress, Alternate-nostril breathing, EFT, Visualization) Goal: bring your heart rate down, soften your reactivity, Over time: build calmness reserves for your nervous system, re-train and expand your brain
- Week 3: Getting prepared for future stress (Noticing your tendencies and patterns. Knowing your dominant emotions and physiological responses. Owning your emotions and reactions. Dealing with difficult situations and people.) Goal: release your part of the story/attachment/drama, create emotional safety
- Week 4: Befriending your emotions (Creating a relationship with all aspects of yourself. Cultivating gratitude for positive and negative aspects of your life.) Goal: integrating all parts of yourself into your life
- Week 5: Rewiring your memories (Brain plasticity, the power of visualization) Goal: change your relationship to what is, what was and what will be
- Week 6: Cultivating Kindness (Loving kindness to yourself and others.) Goal: cultivate love
- Week 7: Review of all subjects and meditation tools (Review and tips for a continued meditation practice) Goal: continuing your meditation and mindfulness practice
Other things to note:
- Pre-registration is required. All three classes are limited to 18 participants. A minimum of 5 participants is required to run the class.
- Age group 13 to 17 should bring a new notebook to class with them. All the other props including mats are available in the studio.
- All participants are asked to wear comfortable layered clothing.
- All three classes are for kids/teens only. Parents will kindly be asked to wait outside.
- Parents/guardians will be asked to sign a waiver at the first class.
- The class fee is non-refundable after the first week of the workshop, and there will not be any make-ups for missed classes unless we need to reschedule a class due to an unforeseen emergency.
About Damla Aktekin
Damla Aktekin is a Healer, who helps people with energetic wounds to reclaim their light and replace their burdens with joy, love, and bliss. She is also a 500 hour Certified Yoga Teacher and a Reiki Master and has over 1000 hours of healing, movement, meditation and workshop teaching experience in private sessions and group classes. She is the creator of the website and blog A Drop of Om, Chakra Bliss Healing private sessions, and Chakra Bliss Group Healing and Mantra Dance workshops. She is the mom of an awesome, funny and curly five-year-old daughter. Her life oscillates between playing ponies with her daughter, and teaching and creating bliss filled healing, movement, and meditation journeys. You can run into her in her hometown of Durham New Hampshire. You can find out more about her offerings at this link.